The mission of The Loomis Communities is to enrich the lives of seniors by providing a continuum of high-quality services that promote independence and meet the changing needs of people throughout the aging process.
During the 1890s, a group of women in Holyoke decided to do “something of permanent good for their city.” As attention was called to their older friends with no permanent abiding place, they came to the decision that a home for aged people would best serve their city and prove a “blessing to the homeless.”
Chartered in 1902, the Holyoke Home for Aged People opened in March 1911, on two acres of land donated by William Loomis. In 1969, the name of the organization was changed to Loomis House to reflect its popular name in the community.
In 1981, Loomis House moved to its present location at 298 Jarvis Avenue. Upon construction of this campus, Loomis House became the first continuing care retirement community in Massachusetts, offering independent and assisted living, as well as a skilled nursing center. The nursing center underwent expansions in 1989 and 2003. Independent and assisted living were expanded in 1994.
In 1988, the organization acquired a 27-acre Christmas tree farm four miles away in South Hadley. That property became Loomis Village, developed in phases that opened in 1992, 1996 and 2004. Loomis Village has villas, cottages, independent living apartments and assisted living apartments.
In 1999, The Loomis Communities welcomed Applewood into its family of communities. Applewood is a 103-unit nonprofit continuing care retirement community located among the apple orchards in South Amherst.
Loomis Lakeside at Reeds Landing in Springfield, the newest member of The Loomis Communities family, was acquired in 2009. Opened in 1995, it is a continuing care retirement community with independent living apartments and cottages, assisted living, and skilled nursing. The community now is the largest of the four Loomis Communities campuses.